Monday, August 20, 2012

Visiting the Canadian Rockies Again (Part I)



Last week, I had the good fortune to make a much anticipated return trip to the Canadian Rockies. The map above shows my overall route, 1584 miles in 5 days. I'll be gradually adding from the 300ish decent pictures that I captured but for now, here are some of the highlights:
  • meeting my friend Rob and his family, Amy and Zoe, some of their friends and co-workers
  • a great day hike up Sulphur Mountain in Banff
  •  capturing my own photos of the cliff that killed my first Triumph, three years ago
  • tagging Kootenay National Park, the only of the Big Four that I hadn't seen before
  • visiting Yoho National Park again
It was a great trip and it's going to take some time to organize all of the pictures and impressions I gathered there...in the meantime, here's a brief outline of the trip's timeline:

Day 1: a quick blast up the Trans-Canada Highway and the Coquihalla Highway to Revelstoke, BC. Not many stops along the way, though I did stop at Craigellachie, the spot where the Canadian Pacific Railway completed its span across Canada, connecting East to West.

Day 2: continued across Rogers Pass, through Yoho National Park and into Banff. Met up with friends.

Day 3: visited Kootenay National Park, took some photos around Banff and climbed Sulphur Mountain, met friends for happy hour at the awesome Banff Ave Brewing Company

Day 4: unfortunately, had to head home. A brief stop at a couple favorite spots in Yoho NP and then back through the Rockies to Revelstoke. Headed towards Nakusp this time. First ferry ride with a motorcycle, from Shelter Bay to Galena. A visit to the Nikkei Internment Memorial Centre in New Denver. Past the cliff that totaled my first Triumph 3 years ago. On into Nelson, whose supposed tradition of hot tubbing was not easily found

Day 5: a couple photos by the firehouse from Steve Martin's movie Roxanne and then the long ride home

Thanks for reading!





No comments:

Post a Comment